Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Mar 12 at 16:54 PM

Report: Wolves 0 Rovers 2

Junior Hoilett hit a deadly double as Rovers defeated Wolves 2-0 at Molineux.

After a cagey first half it ended with Rovers leading, Hoilett firing home on the half volley from 12 yards out.

The second half followed a similar pattern but it was always Rovers creating the better chances. A deserved second coming just past the hour mark when Hoilett's sweet 20 yard left-footed strike found Hennessey's bottom corner.

The home side rallied late with O'Hara and Milijas spurning chances as Rovers celebrated a vital three points and a very welcome three points.

Steve Kean made two changes from the side that drew with Aston Villa last time out, welcoming back Jason Lowe from suspension, whilst Marcus Olsson got the nod to start after his impressive cameo seven days ago.

The two missing our were Bradley Orr, who was sidelined with a hamstring injury, and Radosav Petrovic who dropped to the bench. David Dunn and Gael Givet were both available, the manager choosing to stick wih the majority of the team that started against Villa. An additional change was to play Junior Hoilett in the role behind Yakubu with Mauro Formica out wide.

With so much riding on the match there were no sign of nerves early on as both sides earned corners, but it was Rovers with the first effort at goal as Yakubu fired high over the bar on ten minutes.

Four minutes later and the Nigerian was in the thick of the action again, getting on the end of a pass from Mauro Formica but Yakubu couldn't get enough purchase on his effort and Wayne Hennessey saved easily.

For a third time in quick succession the Rovers leading scorer was presented with a chance, again it was from a Formica cross, this time to the near post, but Yakubu headed wide under pressure from Bassong.

From the goal kick Wolves had a chance of their own when David Edwards chased a ball to the byline, his cutback went through the legs of Grant Hanley striking Matt Jarvis, fortunately the ball rebounded wide.

There was plenty of endeavour from both sides but the match lacked quality with passes often going astray, but as the half drew to the close Rovers fashioned two further chances, Yakubu firing narrowly over the angle on 41 before Junior Hoilett finally broke the deadlock two minutes before the break.

The goal came from a long throw from the right by Morten Gamst Pedersen, the ball glancing off David Davis to Hoilett who steadied himself before hitting the ball on the half volley into the corner of the net past Hennessey.

The Canadian, revelling in the free role behind Yakubu, grabbing his fourth of the season and certain his most important to date.

As was expected Wolves came out with greater purpose at the start of the second half but aside from a half chance that Stephen Fletcher miss-hit Rovers restricted the home side to very little.

Rovers constant pressing an harrying continued to pay dividends, Mauro Formica seeing a shot saved after pinching possession, the Argentine had been a real thorn to Wolves.

It was from another good tackle that Rovers grabbed a vital second goal, Martin Olsson and Steven Nzonzi getting the ball on the edge of their own box before the ball was played upfield to Yakubu. He bode his time before assistance arrived in the form of Junior Hoilett who advanced before lashing home a sumptuous left-footed strike low into the corner sparking jubilant scenes as he celebrated in front of the 1400 Rovers fans.

Suddenly there was a buzz to Rovers' play, Marcus Olsson went close when Bassong diverted a centre over his own bar before Morten Gamst Pedersen almost scored direct from a corner after Doyle missed the ball at the near post.

As the match entered the final 15 Wolves finally started to fashion chances of their own. On 77 Jamie O'Hara sent a low shot goalwards that Paul Robinson beat away, Doyle sent the ball back into the area but Fletcher headed over.

The home side's best chance fell with four minutes to go, Matt Jarvis, who had been Wolves' main threat all afternoon, crossing for substitute Nenad Milijas but the fast arriving midfielder could only head high over the bar.

For once there was no late drama in a match involving Rovers as they saw out time to clinch a huge three points and a very welcome clean sheet.

WOLVES: Hennessey, Edwards (sub Kightly 60 mins), Stearman, Fletcher, Ward (c), Jarvis, Bassong, Zubar, O'Hara, Davis (sub Milijas 75 mins), Doyle (sub Ebanks-Blake 82 mins).

Subs not used: De Vries (GK), Johnson, Berra, Foley.

ROVERS: Robinson (c), Lowe, Dann, Hanley, Martin Olsson, Formica, Nzonzi, Pedersen (sub Dunn 75 mins), Marcus Olsson, Hoilett, Yakubu.

Subs not used: Bunn (GK), Givet, Modeste, Petrovic, Goodwillie, Vukcevic.

Booked: Fletcher (Wolves), Pedersen, Hanley (Rovers).

Attendance: 26,121

    Latest Match Reports