Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Oct 11 at 16:55 PM

Report: QPR 1 Rovers 1

Rovers picked up another point in London after a hard working 1-1 display.

Both goals came in the first half, Heidar Helguson's cross creeping home on 16 minutes, before Christopher Samba's bullet header evened up the scoreline eight minutes later.

In an even contest, Rovers ended strongly, Martin Olsson twice denied by Paddy Kenny in the closing stages.

After a league free fortnight, Steve Kean made three changes from the side that lost to Manchester City last time out.

Rovers welcomed back Michel Salgado from injury and Martin Olsson from suspension whilst Jason Roberts was preferred up front to Yakubu.

Those three returning saw Jason Lowe move into the centre of midfield, Martin Olsson replacing David Goodwillie who dropped to the bench. Morten Gamst Pedersen missing out with a hamstring strain picked up on international duty with Norway.

The early exchanges saw plenty of endeavour from both sides but little in the way of openings.

The first came Rovers' way from Martin Olsson, the Swede sending a dangerous ball over from the left that defender Anton Ferdinand could only slice. The former Sunderland man relieved as the ball bounced off the top of the crossbar and behind.

Moments later after an Olsson cross had been blocked for a corner kick. Jason Lowe sent the ball to the back post but Paddy Kenny in the QPR goal claimed Christopher Samba'a header.

But it was from a corner kick at the other end that would see the home side take the lead on 16 minutes. Alejandro Faurlin's centre saw Heidar Helguson's header blocked by his own man, but the ball came back to the Icelander and his lofted cross somehow crept into the bottom corner of the goal. It wasn't intended but they all count.

Four minutes later and another Faurlin centre caused the vistor's problems, this time it ran through to Joey Barton who drove low across goal, the ball deflecting narrowly wide.

Rangers' lead lasted just eight minutes as Rovers wasted little time in hitting back. After a Junior Hoilett attack had been thwarted, Jason Lowe took the corner from the left, Christopher Samba rising unopposed to powerfully head home from distance.

Another Lowe centre saw Samba threaten, the Rovers captain furious that his leap was impeded by his marker as the ball was tamely headed into the arms of Kenny.

At the other end as Radosav Petrovic allowed the ball to go over his head, Shaun Wright-Phillips struck from distance, the ball fizzing lowe just past Paul Robinson's far post.

Rovers ended the half strongly. Jason Roberts sending Martin Olsson away on the left, he sent over a great cross but Junior Hoilett just couldn't get a strong enough connection on the ball.

Then Hoilett skipped past two like they weren't there, but his curling shot to the back post is cleared by Anton Ferdinand. A trademark long range shot from Petrovic skimming wide.

Neither side changed personnel at the start of the second half, Rovers starting as well as they'd ended the first with the opening chance after the restart.

It came from a Paul Robinson free-kick, sent long, the ball was flicked on by Steven Nzonzi, but as Martin Olsson looked to steal in round the back, Paddy Kenny arrived in the nick of time to punch clear.

Rovers continued to press but without creating, an Olsson foray down the left deserved better, the same for Michel Salgado on the overlap down the right.

Past the hour mark both sides made changes, Neil Warnock sending on Adel Taarabt for Jamie Mackie, Rovers doing a like-for-like switch as David Goodwillie replaced Jason Roberts.

A long ball forward saw Taarabt get the better of Salgado in the battle of the bouncing ball, thankfully the Moroccan's shot was well off target.

Fitz Hall saw his header watched wide by Robinson, then as substitute Tommy Smith found Taarabt at the back post his collision with Salgado saw the home fans scream for a penalty. Referee Mark Clattenburg was unmoved.

At the other end great anticipation saw Jason Lowe intercept to send David Goodwillie away, the Scot tricked his way into the area to find Olsson but he couldn't get a clean connection on the ball under pressure and Kenny made a comfortable save.

Rovers came again at the death, Junior Hoilett finding Olsson flying forward, he sent a stinging shot goalwards from the edge of the area only for Kenny to make a great near post save.

It was a game where both sides had chances, but a point was probably the right result.

QPR: Kenny, Derry, Hall, Faurlin, Mackie (sub Taarabt 64 mins), Traore, Barton (c), Young, Helguson, Wright-Phillips (sub Smith 83 mins), Ferdinand.

Subs: Murphy (GK), Orr, Bothroyd, Buzsaky, Puncheon.

ROVERS: Robinson, Salgado, Olsson, Samba (c), Givet, Petrovic, Nzonzi, Dann, Hoilett, Roberts (sub Goodwillie 68 mins), Lowe.

Subs not used: Bunn (GK), Formica, Rochina, Yakubu, Vukcevic, Hanley.

Booked: Hall, Wright-Phillips, Traore (QPR), Nzonzi, Lowe (Rovers).

Attendance: 16,487

    Latest Match Reports