Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 10 Nov 10 at 22:23 PM

Report: Newcastle 1 Rovers 2

Saturday's match winners would go onto be Wednesday's match winners as Rovers defeated Newcastle United 2-1 on Tyneside.

Morten Gamst Pedersen fired Rovers ahead just three minutes into the match after Brett Emerton robbed Cheik Tiote in the area.

Rovers were in control in the opening 45, Pedersen seeing an effort deflected wide, Jones not too far off the target.

But whilst Rovers were quick out of the blocks in the first, Newcastle were likewise in the second, Chris Samba allowing Andy Carroll the freedom of St. James' Park to head the home side level just two minutes after the restart.

That prompted a spell of pressure from the home side but Paul Robinson wasn't tested. Joey Barton perhaps fortunate to stay on after punching Pedersen.

Eight minutes from time a Paul Robinson goal kick saw Jason Roberts brush aside both Coloccini and Williamson to slip the ball home for the win.

The result means Rovers have on their last five visits to St. James' Park.

Ahead of the game Sam Allardyce made three changes from the side that defeated Wigan Athletic on Saturday.

Pascal Chimbonda, Junior Hoilett and Niko Kalinic all came into the starting eleven with El-Hadji Diouf, Mame Biram Diouf dropping to the bench with Benjani ruled out through injury.

Junior Hoilett was making his first league start of the season and inside the first minute he impressed. Running at pace down the left he took the ball into the area before crossing, his ball just too high for the fast arriving Brett Emerton at the back post.

Newcastle had barely time to clear their lines when Rovers found themselves in front. Morten Gamst Pedersen sent a free-kick from the right into the area, it was headed away as far as Newcastle United midfielder Cheik Tiote who was caught in possession by Brett Emerton and Morten Gamst Pedersen took up the ball before lashing it home with a right-footed strike across Krul and into the far corner.

It was the Norwegian's second goal in successive matches.

Rovers continued to force the pace, the lively Hoilett feeding strike partner Niko Kalinic but the Croatian delayed his shot in front of goal and Coloccini cleared the danger.

The home side looked to react with an attack down the left, Gutierrez onto Jose Enrique on the overlap, the defender cut inside to left fly but Chris Samba got his body in the way to deflect the ball behind.

That was a rare shot at goal from the Magpies as Rovers continued to pose the greater threat. Pedersen went close to his second on the night when a Mike Williamson clearance fell to the Norwegian on the edge of the box but his first-time shot deflected off the central defender and narrowly wide.

Phil Jones was having a lively match in the centre of midfield, looking for his first league goal he lashed a shot wide after Krul had parried out Pedersen's effort, then the England youngster received his first yellow card for a late lunge on Tiote.

Aside from a couple of hopeful balls into the Rovers box that needed claiming, Paul Robinson was certainly the quieter of the two men between the posts. Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan both hit long-range strikes but they were never in any danger of worrying the Rovers man.

Rovers didn't want the first half to end and two minutes after the turnaround they showed why as Newcastle drew level.

A free-kick from the left touchline from Joey Barton saw Chris Samba slow to get to his man Andy Carroll and the Newcastle striker took full advantage to steal in behind and head past a helpless Paul Robinson.

After such a controlled first half it was a real kick in the teeth that Rovers started the second so poorly.

Two minutes later and it almost got worse, again it was of Rovers' making as Pascal Chimbonda played a weak backpass intended for Gael Givet, Joey Barton stole in to intercept but thankfully he fired well wide.

Barton was then fortunate that referee Mike Jones didn't see an off the ball punch on Morten Gamst Pedersen. Junior Hoilett had seen yellow for a clear dive in the area, but in the ensuing complaints Barton punched the Norwegian out of sight from the officials. Surely one for the FA to look at in isolation.

Unimpressed with the start to the second half Sam Allardyce wasted little time in making a change, replacing the ineffective Nikola Kalinic for last Saturday's matchwinner Jason Roberts.

Chris Samba wasted a chance to redeem himself when he headed a Junior Hoilett cross well wide, whilst at the other end a brave Phil Jones headed away a Joey Barton free-kick whilst Newcastle substitute Nile Ranger should have done better after beating the offside trap.

But Rovers weathered the storm and came strong again in the final quarter, getting their reward eight minutes from time. A long ball forward saw Jason Roberts brush aside Coloccini before doing likewise with Williamson and the Rovers striker tucked the ball home through the legs of Krul.

Newcastle threw everything into the Rovers box in the latter stages, but held firm by the impressive Ryan Nelsen Rovers stayed strong to earn the win and maintain their excellent record at St. James' Park.

NEWCASTLE: Krul, Coloccini, Enrique, Nolan (c), Williamson, Barton, Carroll, Simpson, Gutierrez, Ameobi (sub Ranger 46 mins), Tiote (sub Routledge 88 mins).

Subs not used: Soderberg (GK), Campbell, Lovenkrands, Smith, S. Taylor.

ROVERS: Robinson, Salgado, Samba (c), Nelsen, Givet, Chimbonda, Emerton, Jones, Pedersen, Hoilett (sub Dunn 84 mins), Kalinic (sub Roberts 52 mins).

Subs not used: Bunn (GK), EH Diouf, Goulon, Hanley, MB Diouf.

Booked: Nolan, Tiote, Coloccini (Newcastle), Jones, Samba, Hoilett, Roberts (Rovers).

Attendance: 41,053

    Latest Match Reports